Monday 17 May 2010

Animation Frames and Numercy

I'd forgotten to add this in, and I know its in the brief, so here goes nothing!

In regards to the e4 Ident we completed earlier this year, there was a number of mathmatical nightmares I had to overcome. As you may now know, the live action of the flipbook and the Flash animation had to be composited onto Photoshop. This threw up all sorts of problems. Firstly, I had to work out how many times I would need to repeat the flipping so that the animation would fit on. The animation was roughly 6 seconds, and the actual flipping of the book was about three. To get around this, I took a certain section from the live action, about 15 frames and repeated these so the animation would fit. However, if I had just laid the animation on the top, the viewer wouldn't be able to see what was happening. So, every frame from the animation was laid onto the live action four times, twice when the paper was flat, once when the page was starting to turn, and a third when it was almost flipped over. When the other page was in view, I laid the next frame onto page, so that it gave the illusion of a real flipbook. This was a very time consuming progress, and the file was becoming so big, about 450MB, that I had to split the file into three sections, which would later be composited back together in Final Cut.

This was how I managed to get around that problem. Of course when it came to the animation I did on Flash, I had to think carefully about the frame rate and the timing. I had to cut some of the animation down as it was too long when taking into account the opening and closing of the book.

This was the way I managed to get around this

No comments:

Post a Comment